Monday, January 4, 2010

Arrival at Ft Jackson

Arrived late last night. Which was awkward. By the time I got my army issue wool blanket and made it to my barracks, everyone there was asleep. So, in the dark, I had to locate a free bunk, make my bed, and get some sleep. I elected to wait till this morning to unpack. A couple of things I neglected to bring: a towel, a padlock for my locker (bring a couple because you can get a locker box for under your bed and just lock your seabags) and shower slippers. The shoppet opened at noon so I picked them up there. I think I'll get some hangers also tomorrow. You definitely want to report early if possible so you can get a good bunk and locker. Unfortunately, the Army assigned me to the wrong barracks so I had to move all my stuff to my proper barracks in the evening. I'm in C company but I was assigned to the A company barracks.

The only thing to report from last night was a whole lot of snoring going on. Earplugs are a good idea. Today was pretty much a down day. Spent the day unpacking, reading, and surfing the net. The wifi in the barracks is decent. A brief muster in the evening to make sure everyone is here and to get our training schedule. Our first formation tomorrow is 0530 so we'll need to wake up a bit earlier to shower and dress. Looks like each company has a slightly different schedule based on what their drill instructors setup. Our head drill instructor seems fairly laid back so I can't complain.

1 comment: