Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Ft. Jackson Day 16

I had first weapon's watch last night so I didn't get to bed last night until after midnight. Then I was up at 0445 because my platoon had to serve breakfast.

We spent the full day out in the field wearing our IBA. We rotated through 4 different stations. It was grueling wearing the battle armor all day. Almost everything was preparation for the final exercise tomorrow. Lots of very good hands on training using the equipment.

I was in the first group to finish the rotation so unfortunately I was volunteered as a 'high speed' demonstrator. BTW, if you haven't heard, don't volunteer for anything in the Army. Anyway, my job ended up being pulling 'simulated' dead guys out of a hmwvv. It was no big deal during the practice. I could toss them over my shoulder and carry them to my hmwvv. But during the actual demo we had to wear our full battle rattle. That made a huge difference. When I pulled Jason out of the hmwvv he was way to damn heavy to carry with us both wearing our battle gear. So I had to drag him to my hmwvv and get another sailor to help me lift him in. And it still took all of our strength to lift that dead weight. My back feels strained all over.

I found out only slightly more info on my Afghan assignment. They gave me a billet description but it is cookie cutter so it really doesn't say anything. I did get an email address with a point of contact. But I don't think he'll be able to get back to me before I leave here.

No comments:

Post a Comment