Saturday, January 23, 2010

Camp Virginia Day 1

We arrived at Camp Virginia late. The flight was uneventful. The USO reception at the Columbia airport was nice. The USO reception in Bangor Maine was pretty sparse. The stop in Leipzig sucked - that airport is terrible. The flight didn't seem that long. They played movies and I slept from Maine to Germany. I think I dozed from Germany to Kuwait also.

We got a brief immediately to tell us the basics. Were were released to get our bags and go to sleep about 0130. I wasn't tired though so I walked around and stopped at starbucks for a latte. I finally went to bed about 0430 and woke back up at 0830. All we had today was a quick brief at noon. And tomorrow all we are doing is Admin. These first two days are meant to get us used to the time zone and the heat (except the weather is beautiful this time of year).

I didn't do much today. I walked around camp again - checked out the USO building. That was great. They have phones in that that you can use to call home for free. The bandwidth is very restricted here. The internet speed is terrible most of the time. It was alright early in the morning though. You can buy access for $12 a week if you want to use your own laptop, or you can use the MWR or USO computers.

No comments:

Post a Comment