Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Ft Jackson Day 1

It was a long Day 1. We crammed a bunch of stuff in today. We mustered at 0530, but someone's alarm went of at 0415 and I couldnt go to sleep after that. The shower/sink facilities are inadequate. It's strange that they built so few into the barracks. I've had to switch to showering and shaving in the evening where there is more time. I wish I used an electric shaver.

Today was mostly an equipment day. We got a couple more seabags and a ruck sack. Pretty much everything we need. Like gloves and warm under layering. Again, it seems like the only clothes we actually _need_ to bring are underwear, PT gear and a set of civilian clothes for liberty. All this equipment is heavy. I'm not looking forward to BRM (Basic Rifle Marksmanship) in body armor. Our camelbak has to be worn at all times. And they have to be full in the morning. Which seems crazy because its really cold here. We spent a lot of time outside standing in line for equipment, inventorying our equipment and getting introduced to Army marching and PT. My nose got cold.

We had an MRE for lunch. Mine was a chicken fajita stew. It would probably have been better warm, but we didn't have time to warm it. The chocolate bar with it wasn't bad. The vegetable crackers were bland. I didnt eat the pineapples, jam or powdered orange juice.

My head is still swimming from everything we did today. If all the days are this busy, it's going to be a long 3 weeks. I'm going to hit the rack early tonight. We get to sleep in until 6 tomorrow and PT first thing. Unfortunately its going to be about 17 degrees in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment