Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Newcomer brief day

I have to sit though a newcomer brief all afternoon. They said it was more boring than a videocon with senior officers. I don't know what they can really say. "Don't walk more than 300 yards in any direction or you'll be off-base."

I drove home from MOI again yesterday. My supervisor complemented me on my skills at cutting people off. He said it usually take a while for someone to get used to driving here. I think he was happy that I punked some UN vehicle. The UN people are not well liked here because they are viewed as useless and a waste of resources - as far as I can tell.

This morning I want to some afghan army base to pickup some printers. I got some nice pictures of the mountains around Kabul and the mud-brick buildings around town. Also, they are building a beautiful mosque on top of a hill next to some tomb.

All the Afghans I continue to meet are very nice.

We are all still in a temporary tent. They managed to get me a used desk, but still no computers. They gave me a broken chair which sinks all the way down. So I just sit there low riding in the chair reading a book if I'm not out somewhere. I still think office situation is stupid. They must have known for nearly a month prior that I was coming. And they said more people are coming in this week. I can't help but think someone isn't doing their job. Probably an Army guy because they tend to be more reactive than proactive.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Charles, just start writing down code.

    You only need a piece of paper, pencil and the power of your imagination. Nothing can stop you now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to thank you sir. I've had numerous questions about general procedures and activities for mobilizing etc and none of them were answered to the point I was comfortable and not still questioning. So even if as of right now you are technically being forced to also be a 'waste' of resources, your blog alone has assisted and entertained me. I'll be shipping 19FEB10 to NMPS gulfport and starting a similiar cycle to what you did, and will also be blogging for my family while doing so. I'll probably see you over there.

    ReplyDelete