Monday, March 22, 2010

Reasons to make fun of the Air Force

Today was back to normal. I was running around like crazy fighting paperwork battles. I can't say I won the war, but I might have won a skirmish today. I'm a hairs breath from completing the paperwork for getting my police officers new weapons. I've been working that for many weeks.

I had to run to MOI unexpectedly this morning to take our contractors over there to start the mainframes after we got the generators fixed. MAJ Perez was going to go but he was unexpectedly grounded. They all are. They are pretty bummed about it. There is nothing worse than being stuck in the office all day... for 12 hours.

Some wise men in the Air Force admin offices decided that many of the people they sent out don't have enough training to leave Camp Eggers. Except one who went through 5 weeks of training. So, for the time being, that leaves me and one Air Force guy able to travel out to MOI. And we both have other responsibilities that often supersede the Biometrics job. One more example of the chaos and confusion that goes on in a 'combat' zone. For the time being, there's not much else to do other than make fun of them.

Things are still problematic at MOI. The vehicle problem has grounded the contractors who manage the biometric mainframes. Since their vehicles haven't been registered yet, they can't drive. I drove them to MOI this morning to fix some problems with the system that they couldn't fix remotely. They paid some exorbitant about of money to some other contractor to get a ride to Eggers to meet me. This situation is a mess though. The military should have starting registering vehicles long before the mandate became official.

I spent all afternoon inventorying afghan weapons. They have serious responsibility issues. The serial numbers they gave me weren't quite correct so I had to physically re-inventory everything myself. And in spite of their assurances their weapons were clean, many of them weren't. They're so nice though - it's difficult to be a hard-ass and yell at them.

I'm still mulling over in my mind how to communicate to them the fine points of weapons accountability and cleanliness.


I came across a cool article about my game this morning:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/03/genocide-and-jedi-why-the-sith-may-be-right-in-old-republic.ars


Here's what I'd look like as a contractor:

No comments:

Post a Comment