Monday, March 8, 2010

Generator Down

The last couple of days have been typical. Go to the MOI. Talk about the pages of issues we have. Come back and send emails to more people about the issues. This morning Groundhog Day was playing on the TV when I came into the office. Very apropos.

Today I got into a bit of a heated exchange with LTC Anwar, the head afghan guy for the Biometrics office. The generator broke yesterday and he wanted us to fix it for him. After what seemed like an hour discussing the problem I asked him what he would do if we weren't here and the generator broke. He said if the Americans weren't here that the generators wouldn't be running at all. I told him what that tells me is that if MOI won't support the computer systems then we need to put them somewhere else. It's not that I didn't want to help him get the generator fixed. It's that I wanted them to at least try to fix it so we can see where the problem is in the afghan chain of command. Anyway, I left annoyed and fairly certain that we need to move their computer systems to a better home.

I had dinner with a LEP (Law Enforcement Professional) at the Engineering Camp across the street from Eggers. Everyone has told me that their DFAC is the best in town. It was pretty good. Not as good as Camp Warehouse, but certainly better than Eggers. And since I can just walk there, I may visit more regularly. Someone said the Eggers DFAC contract was changing hands in 10 days so maybe we'll get some better food. Though that won't address the overcrowding problem at Eggers. I saw that they were building more temporary housing tents. They are putting one right on half-basketball court next to my conex. The other one is near the corner of the compound. I think that leaves the rose-garden as the only space on Eggers without a structure.

I saw Secretary Gates walking around today but he looked too busy to chat.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/03/08/gates-afghanistan-sees-hard-days-ahead/?test=latestnews

No comments:

Post a Comment