Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Stuck at the Bank

It seems banks are slow even in Afghanistan. I went to a bank today with an Afghan we work with to try and figure out why he hadn't gotten our funds transfer. I didn't strictly need to go because I was there with an American contractor who was taking care of everything. I went because it's easier to get stuff done with someone in uniform. Also, it was important to show the Afghan that we are serious about trying to get him paid, even though it's probably NTM-A finance's fault. (The finance office sucks by the way. They actually work bankers hours which is really frustrating for those of us working the standard 12-hour days trying to get stuff done.)

Anyway, so here I am, sitting in a bank for an hour in full battle gear. If I go to MOI or someplace like that I'll leave my armor in the car. But since the bank was on an average busy street, and we just parked on the streat, I had to stay jocked up. I'm sure I looked odd by the way all the afghans were looking at me. It felt plenty safe though. There were a few cops around directing traffic and the bank had security.

The afghan was a really nice old man. Especially considering that he was supposed to be paid last September. He said a bunch of stuff to me, but my translator basically said the he was just thanking me for making Afghanistan a better place and that he will wait for us to get him his money. I felt bad that he came all the way over here for no reason. I'm going to go harass contracts and finance tomorrow to see what went so wrong here.

Nothing much else today. Just several boring meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment