Wednesday, December 29, 2010

WTP Day -3

I finally made it to Kuwait. I spent two nights in Bagram. I arrived there on the 26th. There was nothing for me to do so I mostly read that day. The LEPs I worked with hooked me up and let me stay in their bhut so I didn't have to stay in the 400-person transient tents. On the 27th at 1500 I had an appointment at NAVCENTFWD where they out-processed us. That only took about an hour. Then we were free until 1500 next next day while we got our flight assignment. Showtime was that night, the 28th, around 8pm.

The flight consisted of 13 IA's like me and 110 Navy (mostly enlisted) from a guard unit. So everything was slow such lining up or sorting bags. It was freezing in Bagram so I spent my last hour there freezing outside in formation on the runway while that Navy unit squared their luggage away. I hate Bagram and this trip was no exception. The primary reasons are terrible restroom facilities, crappy billeting, constant noise, and this time it was freezing cold.

We arrived in Ali-al-Salim around 0500 Kuwait time and left for Afirjon around 0700. It took a long time for that Navy unit to sort their bags into the truck or we would have left earlier. We arrived at Arifjon about 0900, sorted bags for another hour, then met in the admin tent for weapons turn-in and a quick brief. That was great that they collected our weapons immediately. They said to come back at 0830 tomorrow to clean them.

The first thing I did was take a shower, then I went to the DFAC to get chow. The restrooms here are clean and the tents are smaller and only half full. The DFAC is good. The Navy policy is that we can dress in civilian clothes if we want but I only brought one pair so I'm staying in uniform. After chow I went by Starbucks then back to my tent. Was going to read but I passed out fast.

Other than cleaning our weapons tomorrow morning I think there's nothing scheduled until WTP officially starts on 1 Jan. I should arrive in Gulfport late on 4 Jan. I suppose I'll spend the next couple of days reading and playing on my laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment