Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Goodbye Afghans

I took my last trip to MOI today. I bought lunch for the afghan cops that were there and the U.S. team I work with. It was bit sad that the main afghan I advise wasn't able to be there. His eight-year-old niece was killed a few days ago by a car. She was walking across the street and was hit by a small truck. Afghans drive pretty crazy for sure. There are no traffic laws that are regularly obeyed. No such thing as a moving violation or traffic ticket. They don't bother us because we drive armored SUVs. I've had several afghan cars bounce off my SUV over my year driving here but I don't even bother to stop. The other problem of course is that kids are all over the streets. This society hasn't yet adjusted to the having fast-moving vehicles. She was the only girl in his brother's family and her mom is very ill. It's an all-around tragedy.

My team gave me a going-away gift today. A nice plaque to hang on my wall.



The inscription at the bottom says: "It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it."

It's finally starting to feel like I'll be going home soon. I wonder how much I'll remember of this place. I have mixed feelings about begin here but I've certainly made many afghan friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment