Thursday, October 7, 2010

Returning from R&R

I'm in Kuwait at Ali Al Salem waiting for a flight back to Bagram. My Sato itinerary put me back in Atlanta too late to take the Kuwait flight for that day so they put me up in a hotel and I took the Tuesday flight. The flight across the Atlantic wasn't as full as last time and I was fortunate to not have someone sitting immediately next too me. However I didn't get much sleep on the plane - only enough to leave a crick in my neck.

Kuwait is about what I remember. It is busier than a couple of weeks ago and they switched to be a salute-base which is annoying. We have to leave the lights on in the tents, presumably so you don't sleep deeply. They are constantly making base-wide announcements that you have to listen for. For example, my flight was canceled so I don't have to wake up as early. However, since they are constantly blaring announcements I can't sleep anyway. Some people must be sleeping though because they keep calling their names over the intercom.

With any luck I'll make it to Bagram tomorrow and back to Kabul the next day. It was over 100 degrees here when we landed and the sun had already set. I'm wondering how hot it will be when the sun comes up. Hopefully they don't make us wait around in formation like when we were outbound R&R.

No comments:

Post a Comment